Exemptions Online Help

Legally Blind, Paraplegic, Hemiplegic, or Wheelchair-Bound Exemption (Income Limited Exemption) 

Total disability exemption is available to real estate owned and used as a homestead by a totally and permanently disabled person who is legally blind, paraplegic, hemiplegic, or have a total and permanent disability requiring the use of a wheelchair for mobility.  The applicant must submit a statement of income and meet the income limit.  This exemption provides complete relief from property taxes.

Click here for the current income limitation rate

Back to Exemptions Available Page

Total and Permanent Exemption Details


100% Exemption

How to Apply:

Apply using the Online Exemption Filing Application.  You may also apply in person or by mail / fax / email.


The applicant must:

1)  qualify for and receive Homestead Exemption

2)  be paraplegic, hemiplegic, legally blind or use a wheelchair for 


3) meet income limitation


Two Physician's or Optometrist's Certification of Total and Permanent Disability  (DR-416 or DR-416B)  from two unrelated certified Florida physicians.


A form from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs 


Proof of income:  The household income limit is adjusted each year on January 1st, according to changes in the consumer price index (CPI). It compares the prior year cost-of-living with the year before. See the current income limit for this exemption and more information on the CPI.)

Gross Income Statement (DR 501A)

 - AND-

 If you filed an Income Tax Return, submit the following: IRS Form 1040 series 

-OR- IRS Form 4868 -AND- Wage and Income Statement(s) (W-2) 

If you DID NOT file an Income Tax Return, submit the following: Social Security Statement (SSA 1099) if applicable -AND- one of: IRS Form(s) 4506-T, 8821, or any 4506 series

How to Renew:

If approved, this exemption *does not* automatically renew. A new application must be submitted annually even if there are no changes to the use of the property and/or the ownership status does not change.

Florida Statute(s):

FS 196.101

DOR Form(s):

If submitted by mail/fax or in person Department of Revenue Form DR-501, and either DR-Department of Revenue Form DR-416 or Department of Revenue Form DR-416B

PA Code(s):