Exemptions Online Help

Disabled Veteran/Surviving Spouse - Disability Level of 10% or greater due to Misfortune 

Veteran's Disability Exemptions of $5,000 are available to veterans who have at least a 10% service-connected disability, as rated by the Veteran's Administration. 

Back to Exemptions Available Page

Disabled Veteran/Surviving Spouse Exemption Details



How to Apply:

Apply using the Online Exemption Filing Application.  You may also apply in person or by mail / fax / email.


The applicant must:

1) FL resident on Jan 1 of application year 

2) have been discharged under honorable conditions

3) have been disabled to a degree of 10% or more by misfortune (does not have to be service connected) or while serving during a period of wartime service


Veteran: Proof of disability (letter or certificate) from the United States Government or the United States Department of Veterans Affairs indicating disability and/or rating decision

Surviving Spouse: Veteran documentation and Death Certificate of qualified spouse.

Surviving Spouse:

Exemption carries over if spouse had been married to the disabled veteran for at least 5 years UNTIL spouse remarries, sells, or no longer resides on property.  EX does not transfer to new homestead residence.

How to Renew:

If approved, this exemption will renew automatically every year as long as the  use of the property and/or the ownership status does not change

Florida Statute(s):

FS 196.24

DOR Form(s):

If submitted by mail/fax or in person Department of Revenue Form DR-501

PA Code(s):



Service members who are unable to file a Homestead Exemption in person because of a service obligation may file the claim through next of kin or through any other person who has been authorized in writing to file on behalf of the service member. (See section 196.071, Florida Statutes.) 

When a person serving in the Armed Forces owns a property and uses it as a homestead, the service member may rent out the homestead without abandoning the claim to the Homestead Exemption. (See section 196.061, Florida Statutes.)