Exemptions Online Help

Disabled Veteran/Surviving Spouse - Service Connected Total & Permanent Disability or Confined to a Wheelchair

Total Veteran's Disability Exemptions are available to honorably discharged veterans with a service-connected total and permanent disability. This exemption provides total and complete tax relief for all property tax on the veteran's primary residence.

Back to Exemptions Available Page

Total and Permanent Disability (Veteran) Exemption Details


100% Exemption

How to Apply:

Apply using the Online Exemption Filing Application.  You may also apply in person or by mail / fax / email.


The applicant must:

1) FL resident as of January 1 of the exemption year

2) qualify for and receive Homestead Exemption

3) have been discharged under honorable conditions

4) be totally and permanently disabled OR confined to a wheelchair as a result of military service - OR - be the surviving spouse of a disabled veteran or a veteran who died from service-connected causes while on active duty


Veteran: Proof of disability (letter or certificate) from the United States Government or the United States Department of Veterans Affairs

Surviving Spouse: Veteran documentation and Death Certificate of qualified spouse.

Surviving Spouse:

Exemption carries over if spouse holds title upon death of veteran UNTIL spouse remarries, sells, or no longer resides on property.  EX does transfer to new homestead residence and remains UNTIL spouse remarries 

How to Renew:

If approved, this exemption will renew automatically every year as long as the  use of the property and/or the ownership status does not change

Florida Statute(s):

FS 196.081 and FS 196.091

DOR Form(s):

If submitted by mail/fax or in person Department of Revenue Form DR-501

PA Code(s):

001, S01, 003, S03


Service members who are unable to file a Homestead Exemption in person because of a service obligation may file the claim through next of kin or through any other person who has been authorized in writing to file on behalf of the service member. (See section 196.071, Florida Statutes.) 

When a person serving in the Armed Forces owns a property and uses it as a homestead, the service member may rent out the homestead without abandoning the claim to the Homestead Exemption. (See section 196.061, Florida Statutes.)